The cartogram above represents the size of the states of the EU based on the number of think tanks. The United Kingdom contains one out of every five think tanks in the Union. With its impending exit, the EU is poised to lose 20 percent of its think tanks.
- The United Kingdom accounts for the greatest number of think tanks in the EU. It alone is responsible for just under one out of every five think tanks in the Union.
- Malta, the state with the least think tanks attributes 0.27 percent of the total think tanks in the EU.
- Four states (United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Italy) are responsible for just over half the think tanks.
- Every single state in the EU has think tanks.
- The data is from 2016.
- The borders represent the area of the state if it were based on the number of think tanks. The larger the state, the more think tanks it has.
- The map is presented in an Albers equal-area conic projection.
- The choropleth classification is based on Jenks or natural breaks.
Think tanks are most prevalent in northwestern EU states. Eastern European states are the most think tank averse.
The total reported number of think tanks in the European Union is 1,493.
|State||Think Tanks||Percent of EU Total|
McGann, James G. 2017. "2016 Global Go to Think Tank Index Report." University of Pennsylvania. http://repository.upenn.edu/think_tanks/12/?utm_source=repository.upenn.edu%2Fthink_tanks%2F12&utm_medium=PDF&utm_campaign=PDFCoverPages.