The map above shows the number of airports that serve at least 15,000 passengers per year for every million international tourists each EU state receives. Romania has the most airports for every million tourists.
- The difference between the state with the greatest number of airports for every tourist, Romania, and the state with the least, Austria, is 6.98 airports per million tourists.
- Romania has 25.66 times the number of busy airports per tourist that Austria does.
- The median number of busy airports per million tourists in the EU is 1.21 and the mean is 1.99.
- Airport data is from 2016.
- Tourist data is from 2012 except for Ireland which is from 2014.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- Fifteen thousand annual passengers amounts to 41 per day, so busy is loosely defined.
- The map is presented in an Albers equal-area conic projection.
- The choropleth classification is based on Jenks or natural breaks.
Although France has the greatest number of busy airports, it only ranks 13th when taking in the number of tourists it receives. Romania, on the other hand, which has a commanding lead in this metric, has the tenth greatest number of airports in the Union.
Only nine states have more than two busy airports for every million tourists they receive: Romania, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, Greece, Slovakia, Lithuania, and Poland. An additional seven have greater than one. However, it should be noted that Romania has few busy airports when compared to other states its size, and a state like Greece has to serve multiple islands.
|State||Airports (>15,000 Passengers)||International Tourists|
Eurostat. 2018. "Arrivals at Tourist Accommodation Establishments." Accessed September 18, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-055748_QID_740A02AF_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;C_RESID,L,Z,0;UNIT,L,Z,1;NACE_R2,L,Z,2;INDICATORS,C,Z,3;&zSelection=DS-055748NACE_R2,I551-I553;DS-055748C_RESID,FOR;DS-055748UNIT,NR;DS-055748INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;&rankName1=C-RESID_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=NACE-R2_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName6=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
Eurostat. 2018. "Number of Commercial Airports (with More Than 15,000 Passenger Units per Year)." Accessed November 25, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-054100_QID_5E0B9564_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;TRA_INFR,L,Z,0;INDICATORS,C,Z,1;&zSelection=DS-054100TRA_INFR,AIRP;DS-054100INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;&rankName1=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName2=TRA-INFR_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=GEO_1_2_0_1&rankName4=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.