The geographically accurate cartogram above represents the size of the boroughs and census areas of Alaska based on their population. Anchorage makes up nearly half (41.09%) of the state's population and thus takes up a significantly larger portion of the state's landmass than it currently does.
- Anchorage Municipality has the largest population in the state. It alone is responsible for two out of every five people in the state.
- Yakutat City and Borough has the smallest population and accounts for 0.09% of the state's total population.
- Two boroughs (Anchorage Municipality and Fairbanks North Star Borough) are responsible for just over half the population.
- Outside of the two boroughs above, only Matanuska-Susitna Borough has over 10% of the state's population.
- The data is from 2010.
- The borders represent the area of the state if it were based on the number of people. The larger the county, the more people it has.
- The map is presented in an Albers equal-area conic projection.
Anchorage Municipality and Fairbanks North Star Borough take up 54.83% of the state's landmass when rescaled according to population leaving just under half the state's area to the other 27 boroughs and census areas.
The total population of the state is 710,231.
|Borough or Census Area||Population||Percent of State Population|
|Fairbanks North Star Borough||97,581||13.74|
|Kenai Peninsula Borough||55,400||7.80|
|Juneau City and Borough||31,275||4.40|
|Bethel Census Area||17,013||2.40|
|Kodiak Island Borough||13,592||1.91|
|Ketchikan Gateway Borough||13,477||1.90|
|Valdez-Cordova Census Area||9,636||1.36|
|Nome Census Area||9,492||1.34|
|North Slope Borough||9,430||1.33|
|Sitka City and Borough||8,881||1.25|
|Northwest Arctic Borough||7,523||1.06|
|Wade Hampton Census Area||7,459||1.05|
|Southeast Fairbanks Census Area||7,029||0.99|
|Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area||5,588||0.79|
|Aleutians West Census Area||5,561||0.78|
|Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area||5,559||0.78|
|Dillingham Census Area||4,847||0.68|
|Petersburg Census Area||3,815||0.54|
|Aleutians East Borough||3,141||0.44|
|Wrangell City and Borough||2,369||0.33|
|Hoonah-Angoon Census Area||2,150||0.30|
|Lake and Peninsula Borough||1,631||0.23|
|Bristol Bay Borough||997||0.14|
|Yakutat City and Borough||662||0.09|
United States Census Bureau. "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2016." Accessed December 12, 2017. http://factfinder2.census.gov.