The chart above shows the unemployment rate in each EU and US state as of November 2020 (unless otherwise noted - see caveats below), the change from the previous month, and the rate one year prior. Czechia is the only state with an unemployment rate below three percent. No US states have a rate below three percent.
- The difference between the state with the lowest unemployment rate, Czechia, and the state with the highest, Spain, is 13.50 percentage points (down from 13.60 last month and down from 14.80 last year). Czechia had the lowest rate last month and the lowest rate last year. Greece had the highest rate last month and the highest rate last year.
- Spain has 5.66 times the unemployment rate that Czechia does. The ratio of highest rate to lowest rate was down from 5.69 last month and down from 8.05 last year.
- The median unemployment rate in the 28 EU states is 6.80 (same as 6.80 the previous month and up from 5.15 last year) and the mean 7.04 (down from 7.22 the previous month and up from 5.86 last year).
- The median unemployment rate in the 50 US states is 5.95 (down from 6.10 last month and up from 3.45 last year) and the mean 6.06 (down from 6.35 the previous month and up from 3.53 last year).
- The median unemployment rate in the 78 EU and US states is 6.05 (down from 6.20 last month and up from 3.70 last year) and the mean 6.41 (down from 6.66 the previous month and up from 4.37 last year).
- Of the 78 states, 13 (5 US, 8 EU) saw no change in the unemployment rate from the previous month, 47 saw an improvement (34 US, 13 EU), and 18 saw the rate increase (11 US, 7 EU).
- Of the 78 states, zero (0 US, 0 EU) saw no change in the unemployment rate from last year, two saw an improvement (0 US, 2 EU), and 76 saw the unemployment rate increase over the year (50 US, 26 EU).
- Data is from November 2020 except for Estonia and Hungary which are from October 2020 and Greece and the United Kingdom which are from September 2020 (previous month and year rates also reflect the respective one and two month delay).
- Data may conflict with previous month's report as statistical agencies make updates to the rates over the course of the month.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
In absolute terms, Hawaii had the best performance over the previous month dropping 4.1 percentage points. Alaska and New Jersey had the worst performance rising 2.2 percentage points. Year over year, Greece had the best performance with a 0.8 percentage point drop while Hawaii had the worst performance with a 7.5 percentage point rise.
In relative terms, Hawaii had the best performance over the previous month with a 28.87% drop in its rate while Alaska had the worst performance with a 37.29% rise in its rate. Year over year, Italy had the best performance with a 7.29% drop in its rate while Hawaii had the worst performance with a 288.46% rise in its rate.
Seven states (5 US, 2 EU) have an unemployment rate below four percent (up from 6 - 4 US, 2 EU - last month and down from 46 - 39 US, 7 EU - last year) which traditionally has placed inflationary pressure on wages. Fifty-four (36 US, 18 EU) have a rate between four and eight percent (down from 56 - 40 US, 16 EU - last month, up from 28 - 11 US, 17 EU - last year), and 17 (9 US, 8 EU) have a rate above eight percent (up from 16 - 6 US, 10 EU - last month, up from 4 - 0 US, 4 EU - last year).
Alabama (from 31st lowest unemployment rate to 10th lowest out of 78) and Tennessee (from 52nd to 31st) rose 21 spots between last month and this month. On the other hand, Alaska (from 32nd to 62nd) and Connecticut (from 36th to 66th) fell 30 spots. Year-over-year, Bulgaria (from 53rd to 19th) rose 34 spots. Conversely, Hawaii (from 7th to 73rd) fell 66 spots.
Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2021. "State Employment and Unemployment (Monthly) News Release." Accessed January 12, 2021. https://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.htm.
Eurostat. 2021. "Unemployment by Sex and Age - Monthly Average." Accessed January 13, 2021. https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-055624_QID_6BEC649F_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;S_ADJ,L,Z,0;AGE,L,Z,1;UNIT,L,Z,2;SEX,L,Z,3;INDICATORS,C,Z,4;&zSelection=DS-055624AGE,TOTAL;DS-055624S_ADJ,SA;DS-055624UNIT,PC_ACT;DS-055624SEX,T;DS-055624INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;&rankName1=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=AGE_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=SEX_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=S-ADJ_1_2_-1_2&rankName6=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName7=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.