The chart above shows the crude oil production in each EU region as of January 2019 in thousands of metric tons, the change from the previous month, and the production one year prior. The Eastern EU surpassed the Northern EU in crude production.
- The difference between the region with the greatest production, the Western EU, and the region with the least, the Southern EU, is 4,173 thousand metric tons (down from 4,327 last month and up from 4,023 last year). The Western EU and the Southern EU had the greatest and least production respectively both last month and last year.
- The Western EU has 10.89 times the production that the Southern EU does. The ratio of highest production to lowest production was down from 11.48 last month and up from 9.73 last year.
- Zero regions saw no change in their crude production from the previous month, two produced more, and two regions produced less.
- Zero regions saw no change in their crude production from last year, while two increased production, and two decreased production.
- Data is from January 2019 except for Greece, Malta, and the Netherlands which are from December 2018 and Germany which is from November 2018.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
In absolute terms, the Western EU saw the largest decrease over the previous month with a drop of 145 thousand metric tons. The Eastern EU had the biggest spike in production with a gain of 13 thousand metric tons. Year over year, the Northern EU had the largest decrease with a drop of 80 thousand metric tons while the Western EU had the greatest increase with a gain of 111 thousand metric tons.
In relative terms, the Northern EU had the greatest decrease over the previous month with a 13.71% drop in production while the Eastern EU had the greatest increase with a 2.51% gain in production. Year over year, the Northern EU had the greatest decrease with a 15.01% drop in its production while the Eastern EU had the greatest increase with a 4.74% gain in production.
The Western EU accounted for over three-fourths of the production of crude in the EU at 76.58%. It, with the Eastern EU accounted for just over four-fifths of the entire crude production in the EU at 85.42%.
The Eastern EU has the smallest range in crude production this month with a low of 0 thousand metric tons in five states to a high of 294 thousand metric tons in Romania which accounts for 55.47% of all crude produced in the Eastern EU. The Western EU has the greatest range with a low of 0 thousand metric tons in three states to a high of 4,252 in the United Kingdom which makes up 92.54% of all crude produced in the Western EU. Denmark, the largest producer in the Northern EU accounts for 100% of the region's production and Italy, the largest producer in the Southern EU accounts for 93.84% of the region's production.
The Eastern EU jumped up from being the third largest producer last month and last year to the second largest producer of crude this past month surpassing the Northern EU.
Eurostat. 2019. "Supply and Transformation of Oil - Monthly Data." Accessed May 15, 2019. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-075785_QID_-78955871_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;PRODUCT,L,Z,1;INDIC_NRG,L,Z,2;INDICATORS,C,Z,3;&zSelection=DS-075785INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-075785PRODUCT,3105;DS-075785INDIC_NRG,B_100100;DS-075785UNIT,THS_T;&rankName1=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=PRODUCT_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=INDIC-NRG_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName6=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.