The chart above shows the number of subway stations per kilometer of track in each region. The Southern and Western EU both have just over one station for every kilometer of track.
- The difference between the region with the most subway stations per kilometer of track, the Southern EU, and the region with the least, the Eastern EU, is 0.16.
- The Southern EU has 1.18 times the subway stations per kilometer of track that the Eastern EU does.
- The correlation between length of a subway system and station density is low with a coefficient of -0.36.
- The correlation between number of stations in a subway system and station density is also low with a coefficient of -0.11.
- Data is from 2017.
- Greece is currently working on building a subway system for Thessaloniki which is slated to have 1.26 stations for every kilometer of track initially and 1.08 in the second stage. This would raise the South's station density to 1.06 stations for every kilometer.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
The Western EU has the most stations by far and the most track but ranks second in stations per kilometer of track. The Southern EU which tops this metric comes in a distant second in number of stations and length of track. The Northern EU has the least number of stations and the least kilometers of track but ranks third in this metric. The Eastern EU comes in third in number of stations and in kilometers of track but ranks last in stations per kilometer of track.
Twenty-two subway systems in the EU have a greater station density than the Southern EU while nine have a lower station density than the Eastern EU.
Wikipedia. 2019. "List of Metro Systems." Accessed February 24, 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems.