The chart above shows the number of subway stations in each EU state. France, Spain, Germany, and the United Kingdom are the only states with more than 300 subway stations.
- The difference between the state with the most subway stations, France, and the state with the least (that has a subway system), Denmark, is 460 stations.
- France has 21.91 times the subway stations that Denmark does.
- Italy has seven subway systems, France has six, the United Kingdom and Germany each have four, Spain has three, and the Netherlands has two, all other states have one.
- Data is from 2017.
- Greece is currently working on building a subway system for Thessaloniki which is slated to have 34 stations.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
France accounts for nearly one-fifth of all subway stations in the EU at 18.26%. It, with Spain make up over one-third of the subway stations in the EU at 35.83%. Adding Germany into the mix accounts for over half the stations in the EU at 51.33%.
Italy has seven heavy rail systems. The Milan Metro has 106 stations, the Rome Metro has 73, the Naples Metro has 22, the Turin Metro has 21, the Brescia Metro has 17, the Catania Metro has 10, and the Genoa Metro has eight. France has 302 stations in the Paris Metro, 60 in the Lille Metro, 40 in the Lyon Metro, 37 in the Toulouse Metro, 28 in the Marseille Metro, and 15 in the Rennes Metro. The United Kingdom has two systems in London, one in Newcastle, and one in Glasgow. The London Underground has 270 stations, the Tyne and Wear Metro in Newcastle has 60, the Docklands Light Railway in London has 45, and the Glasgow Subway has 15. Germany has 173 stations in the Berlin U-Bahn, 96 in the Munich U-Bahn, 92 in the Hamburg U-Bahn, and 48 in the Nuremberg U-Bahn. Spain has 241 in the Madrid Metro, 182 in the Barcelona Metro, and 41 in the Metro Bilbao. The Netherlands has 62 stations in the Rotterdam Metro and 39 in the Amsterdam Metro.
|Czech Republic||Prague||Prague Metro||58|
|United Kingdom||Glasgow||Glasgow Subway||15|
|United Kingdom||London||Docklands Light Railway||45|
|United Kingdom||London||London Underground||270|
|United Kingdom||Newcastle||Tyne and Wear Metro||60|
Wikipedia. 2019. "List of Metro Systems." Accessed February 24, 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems.