The chart above shows the miles of heavy rail subway track within each US region. The Northeast has more miles of subway track than all other regions combined.
- The difference between the region with the most miles of track, the Northeast, and the region with the least, the South, is 412.9 miles.
- The Northeast has 6.70 times the miles of track that the South does.
- The New York City subway system has more track than every single other region except the Northeast.
- The New York City Subway, the Washington Metro, BART, and the Chicago L, each have more track than the entire South.
- Data is from 2017.
- Hawaii is currently working on building a subway system for Honolulu.
- The Northeastern US consists of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- The Western US consists of California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.
- The Midwestern US consists of Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- The Southern US consists of Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
The South has more rail than ten subway systems, two of which are in the South, one each in the Midwest and the West, and six in the Northeast.
The Northeast has eight subway systems while all other regions have two.
|California||Los Angeles||Metro Rail||17.4|
|Maryland||Baltimore||Baltimore Metro Subway||15.5|
|New York||New York City||New York City Subway||236.2|
|New York||New York City||Staten Island Railway||14|
|New York||New York City||PATH||13.8|
|Ohio||Cleveland||RTA Rapid Transit: Red Line||19|
|Washington DC||Washington, D.C.||Washington Metro||117|
Wikipedia. 2019. "List of Metro Systems." Accessed February 24, 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems.