The chart above shows the number of passengers that traveled by air for every square kilometer in each EU region. The Eastern EU almost finally got a break and didn't finish last in one of these metrics but the Northern EU just barely squeaked by it.
- The difference between the region with the greatest number of air travelers per area, the Western EU, and the region with the least, the Eastern EU, is 475.98 per square kilometer.
- The Western EU has 5.38 times the number of air travelers per area that the Eastern EU does.
- The Western and Southern EU each have more air passengers per area than each individual state in the Eastern EU.
- Travel data is from 2017.
- Area data is from 2007.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
The Western EU has the most air travelers by far, ranks third when population is taken into account, and first in this metric. The Northern EU, ranks first in the per capita metric, ranks last when it comes to total air travelers, and third in this metric.
The state with the most air passengers per area in the Eastern EU, the Czech Republic, has less air passengers per area than Greece and France the states with the least air passengers per area in the Southern and Western EU respectively.
Eurostat. 2018. "Air Passenger Transport by Reporting Country." Accessed December 12, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-054020_QID_63F2F729_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;TRA_MEAS,L,Z,1;SCHEDULE,L,Z,2;TRA_COV,L,Z,3;INDICATORS,C,Z,4;&zSelection=DS-054020TRA_COV,TOTAL;DS-054020SCHEDULE,TOT;DS-054020UNIT,PAS;DS-054020INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-054020TRA_MEAS,PAS_CRD;&rankName1=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=SCHEDULE_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=TRA-COV_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TRA-MEAS_1_2_-1_2&rankName6=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName7=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
United Nations. 2007. "United Nations Statistics Division - Environment Statistics." Accessed January 23, 2018. https://unstats.un.org/unsd/environment/totalarea.htm.