The chart above shows the number of passengers that traveled by air for every square kilometer in each EU state. Malta is in a class by itself.
- The difference between the state with the greatest number of air travelers per area, Malta, and the state with the least, Slovakia, is 18,962.81 per square kilometer.
- Malta has 387.99 times the number of air travelers per area that Slovakia does.
- The median number of air passengers per square kilometer in the 28 EU states is 308.62 and the mean 1,110.10.
- Travel data is from 2017.
- Area data is from 2007.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
The United Kingdom which has the most air travelers overall, ranks tenth when its population is taken into account, and sixth when its area is factored in. Malta leads in the per capita metric and this metric but ranks 23rd in overall air passengers.
Of the seven states with an area larger than 250,000 square kilometers, Germany leads in this metric followed by Italy, Spain, France, Poland, Sweden, and Finland.
Eurostat. 2018. "Air Passenger Transport by Reporting Country." Accessed December 12, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-054020_QID_63F2F729_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;TRA_MEAS,L,Z,1;SCHEDULE,L,Z,2;TRA_COV,L,Z,3;INDICATORS,C,Z,4;&zSelection=DS-054020TRA_COV,TOTAL;DS-054020SCHEDULE,TOT;DS-054020UNIT,PAS;DS-054020INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-054020TRA_MEAS,PAS_CRD;&rankName1=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=SCHEDULE_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=TRA-COV_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TRA-MEAS_1_2_-1_2&rankName6=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName7=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
United Nations. 2007. "United Nations Statistics Division - Environment Statistics." Accessed January 23, 2018. https://unstats.un.org/unsd/environment/totalarea.htm.