The chart above shows the net worth of the billionaires of each region per square kilometer. The Western EU leads all other regions by a huge margin.
- The difference between the region with the highest billionaire net worth per area, the Western EU, and the region with the lowest, the Eastern EU, is $847,433.80 per square kilometer.
- The Western EU has 21.24 times the billionaire net worth per area that the Eastern EU does.
- The Western EU has a higher billionaire net worth per area than each individual state in the Eastern EU.
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, and Slovenia do not have a single billionaire.
- Billionaire data is from 2018.
- Area data is from 2007.
- Figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
The Western EU has the highest billionaire net worth overall, second highest when its population is taken into account, it also has the highest average billionaire net worth, and it ranks first in this metric. The leader in the per capita metric, the Northern EU, ranks third when it comes to total net worth of billionaires, third when it comes to the average net worth of its billionaires, and third in this metric. The Eastern EU is the laggard in all three categories.
The Eastern EU is the only region to not have a single state with a billionaire net worth per area of over $100,000. It is also the region whose state with the highest billionaire net worth per area is the lowest of all the other region's leading states.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.
United Nations. 2007. "United Nations Statistics Division - Environment Statistics." Accessed January 23, 2018. https://unstats.un.org/unsd/environment/totalarea.htm.