The chart above shows the net worth of the billionaires of each state per square mile. Connecticut and New York are in a class all their own.
- The difference between the state with the highest billionaire net worth per area, Connecticut, and the state with the lowest (that has billionaires), Utah, is $12,108,367 per square mile.
- Connecticut has 857.64 times the average billionaire net worth that Utah does.
- The median average net worth of billionaires in the 50 states is $425,686 and the mean $1,254,065.
- The median average net worth of billionaires in the 42 states that do have billionaires is $570,011 and the mean $1,492,935.
- Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Vermont do not have a single billionaire.
- Billionaire data is from 2018.
- Area data is from 2010.
- Figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
California which has the highest billionaire net worth overall, ranks eighth when its population is taken into account, 13th in average net worth of its billionaires, and fourth in this metric. Kansas, whose billionaires have the highest average net worth, ranks tenth in the overall wealth of its billionaires, seventh when its population is taken into account, and 18th in this metric. Wyoming leads in the per capita metric but ranks 12th in the overall wealth of its billionaires, seventh in the average wealth of its billionaires, and 21st in this metric. The leader in this metric, Connecticut, ranks ninth in the total wealth of its billionaires, ninth in the per capita metric, and 21st in the average wealth of its billionaires.
Of the six states whose billionaires have a total net worth of over $100 billion, New York, California, and Washington rank first, second, and third, respectively and all three have an net worth per square mile of over $4 million.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.
United States Census Bureau. September 2012. "United States Summary: 2010: Population and Housing Unit Counts." Accessed January 23, 2018. https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/cph-2-1.pdf.