The chart above shows the net worth of the billionaires of each region divided by the population of billionaires in said region. Unlike the previous metric which measured the net worth of billionaires against the total population, this metric shows how wealth is distributed amongst the billionaires of every region. Only the Western EU has billionaires who average over $5 billion of net worth.
- The difference between the region with the highest average billionaire net worth, the Western EU, and the region with the lowest, the Eastern EU, is $1.84 billion.
- The Western EU has 1.58 times the average billionaire net worth that the Eastern EU does.
- The Western EU has a higher average billionaire net worth than each individual state in the Northern EU.
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, and Slovenia do not have a single billionaire.
- Billionaire data is from 2018.
- Figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
The Western EU has the highest billionaire net worth overall, second highest when its population is taken into account, and it also has the highest average billionaire net worth. The leader in the per capita metric, the Northern EU, ranks third when it comes to total net worth of billionaires and third when it comes to the average net worth of its billionaires. The Eastern EU is the laggard in all three categories.
The Northern EU is the only region to not have a single state with an average billionaire net worth of over $5 billion. However, it is also the only region where all of its states have billionaires.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.