The chart above shows the number of passengers that traveled by air for every resident in each EU region. The Northern EU is the region with the most air passengers per capita in the EU.
- The difference between the region with the greatest number of per capita air travelers, the Northern EU, and the region with the least, the Eastern EU, is 3.34.
- The Northern EU has 3.90 times the number of air travelers that the Eastern EU does.
- Every single state in the Northern EU has more passengers per capita than every single state in the Eastern EU.
- The Northern, Southern, and Western EU all have more air passengers per capita than each individual state in the Eastern EU.
- Travel data is from 2017.
- Population data is from 2011.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
Although the Western EU has the most air travelers by far, it ranks third when population is taken into account. The Northern EU, which in this metric is first, ranks last when it comes to total air travelers.
The Eastern EU is the only region with states that have less air passengers than residents. Four states in the region have less air travelers than people or just over one-third of the states in the Eastern EU.
Eurostat. 2018. "Air Passenger Transport by Reporting Country." Accessed December 12, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-054020_QID_63F2F729_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;TRA_MEAS,L,Z,1;SCHEDULE,L,Z,2;TRA_COV,L,Z,3;INDICATORS,C,Z,4;&zSelection=DS-054020TRA_COV,TOTAL;DS-054020SCHEDULE,TOT;DS-054020UNIT,PAS;DS-054020INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-054020TRA_MEAS,PAS_CRD;&rankName1=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=SCHEDULE_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=TRA-COV_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TRA-MEAS_1_2_-1_2&rankName6=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName7=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
Eurostat. 2017. "Population on 1 January by Age Groups and Sex - Functional Urban Areas." Accessed December 11, 2017. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=urb_lpop1&lang=en.