The chart above shows the number of passengers that traveled by air in each EU and US region. The Western EU has so many air travelers that it has more than the next two regions combined.
- The difference between the region with the greatest number of air travelers, the Western EU, and the region with the least, the Northern EU, is 715,030,128 passengers.
- The Western EU has 8.79 times the number of air travelers that the Northern EU does.
- The difference between the EU region with the greatest number of air travelers, the Western EU, and the US region with the greatest, the Southern US, is 494,175,708 passengers.
- The Western EU has 2.58 times the number of air travelers that the Southern US does.
- The Western EU accounts for 36.88% of the total air travel in the EU and US. The Western and Southern EU account for over half.
- The largest contributor in each region makes up between 27 and 40 percent of the respective region's total.
- Travel data is from 2017.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Southern US consists of Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.
- The Western US consists of California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.
- The Northeastern US consists of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- The Midwestern US consists of Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
The United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, France, and Italy each have more air passengers than each of the Northeastern and Midwestern US and the Eastern and Northern EU. California has more air passengers than the entirety of the Northern EU. No other states have more air passengers than entire regions.
The total number of air travelers in the EU is 1,489,956,754 while the total for the US is 847,722,190. The EU has 1.76 times the air travelers that the US does.
Eurostat. 2018. "Air Passenger Transport by Reporting Country." Accessed December 12, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-054020_QID_63F2F729_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;TRA_MEAS,L,Z,1;SCHEDULE,L,Z,2;TRA_COV,L,Z,3;INDICATORS,C,Z,4;&zSelection=DS-054020TRA_COV,TOTAL;DS-054020SCHEDULE,TOT;DS-054020UNIT,PAS;DS-054020INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-054020TRA_MEAS,PAS_CRD;&rankName1=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=SCHEDULE_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=TRA-COV_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TRA-MEAS_1_2_-1_2&rankName6=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName7=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
Federal Aviation Authority. 2018. "Enplanements of All Commercial Service Airports (by Rank)." Accessed November 26, 2018. https://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_capacity/passenger_allcargo_stats/passenger/media/cy17-commercial-service-enplanements.pdf.