The chart above shows the total net worth of each EU and US region's billionaires. The Western US and the Western EU are the only regions whose billionaires have a total net worth of over $1 trillion.
- The difference between the region with the highest total net worth, the Western US, and the region with the lowest, the Eastern EU, is $1,240.8 billion.
- The Western US has 27.12 times the billionaire net worth that the Eastern EU does.
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, and Slovenia do not have a single billionaire in the EU.
- Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Vermont do not have a single billionaire in the US.
- Data is from 2018.
- The Western US consists of California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Northeastern US consists of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- The Southern US consists of Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.
- The Midwestern US consists of Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
California, whose billionaires have a net worth of $733.4 billion has more billionaire net worth than five regions: the Southern and Midwestern US and the Southern, Northern, and Eastern EU. Germany and New York each have billionaires whose net worth is greater than four regions. France, Washington, Texas, and the United Kingdom each have billionaires whose net worth is higher than two regions. Thirteen states have a higher billionaire net worth than the Eastern EU: Florida, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Arkansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Connecticut, Kansas, Massachusetts, Wyoming, Illinois, and Colorado.
The Western US and Western EU are each home to nearly one out of every four billionaires' dollars in the EU and the US; the Northeastern US is home to one out of every six; the Southern US to one out of every seven; the Midwestern US to one out of every 13; the Southern EU to one out of every 15; the Northern EU to one out of every 26; and the Eastern EU to one out of every 103.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.