The chart above shows the total net worth of each state's billionaires. California and New York are the only states whose billionaires have a total net worth of over $500 billion.
- The difference between the state with the highest total net worth, California, and the state with the lowest (that has billionaires), New Hampshire, is $732.3 billion.
- California has 666.73 times the billionaire net worth that New Hampshire does.
- The median net worth of billionaires in the 50 states is $23.9 billion and the mean $61.94 billion.
- The median net worth of billionaires in the 42 states that do have billionaires is $32.7 billion and the mean $73.74 billion.
- Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Vermont do not have a single billionaire.
- Data is from 2018.
Just like California has nearly one-quarter of all the billionaires in the US, its billionaires also have nearly one-quarter (23.68%) of the net worth of the country's billionaires. California, New York, and Washington also have over half (50.19%) the net worth of the country's billionaires.
Six states' billionaires have a total net worth of over $100 billion (in descending order): California, New York, Washington, Texas, Florida, and Arkansas. The Midwest is the only region without a state in the top five, however, Nebraska does rank seventh.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.