The chart above shows the number of billionaires in each EU and US region. Only the Western EU and the Western US have over 200 billionaires.
- The difference between the region with the most billionaires, the Western EU, and the region with the least, the Eastern EU, is 230.
- The Western EU has 16.33 times the billionaires that the Eastern EU does.
- The EU regions range from 15 billionaires to 245, whereas the US regions range from 63 to 203.
- The Western EU has just over one-fourth of all the billionaires in the EU and the US.
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, and Slovenia do not have a single billionaire in the EU.
- Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Vermont do not have a single billionaire in the US.
- Data is from 2018.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Western US consists of California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.
- The Northeastern US consists of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- The Southern US consists of Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Midwestern US consists of Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
California, which has 145 billionaires, has more billionaires than five regions: the Southern US, the Southern EU, the Midwestern US, the Northern EU, and the Eastern EU. Germany and New York each have more billionaires than four regions: the Southern EU, the Midwestern US, the Northern EU, and the Eastern EU. The United Kingdom, Texas, and Florida each best two regions: the Northern EU and the Eastern EU. Finally, Italy, France, Sweden, Spain, Connecticut, Illinois, and Massachusetts each have more billionaires than the Eastern EU.
Only the Northern EU has no states without billionaires. Luxembourg does not have any in the Western EU; Alaska and New Mexico do not have any in the Western US; Delaware and Vermont do not have any in the Northeastern US; Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi do not have any in the Southern US; Malta does not have any in the Southern EU; North Dakota does not have any in the Midwest; and Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Slovenia do not have any in the Eastern EU making it the only region with more than three states without a billionaire and the only region with more states without billionaires than with.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.