The chart above shows the number of billionaires in each EU region. Only the Western EU has over 100 billionaires.
- The difference between the region with the most billionaires, the Western EU, and the region with the least, the Eastern EU, is 230.
- The Western EU has 16.33 times the billionaires that the Eastern EU does.
- The Western EU has just under two-thirds of all the billionaires in the Union.
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, and Slovenia do not have a single billionaire.
- Data is from 2018.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
Germany which has 123 billionaires has more billionaires than each of the Northern, Southern, and Eastern EU regions. The United Kingdom has more billionaires than each of the Northern and Eastern EU regions. Finally, Italy, France, Sweden, and Spain each have more billionaires than the Eastern EU.
Only the Northern EU has no states without billionaires. Luxembourg does not have any in the Western EU; Malta does not have any in the Southern EU; and Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Slovenia do not have any in the Eastern EU making it the only region with more than one state without a billionaire and the only region with more states without billionaires than with.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.